i just read through all 12 pages of comments. wow. kind of horrible. i've been told to ignore it all but some things were taken so far out of context, i feel like i should make a few things clear:
1. while i agree that i shoudn't have acted so immature in regards to not getting what i had requested, it was intended as a joke. i am VERY new to blogging (in fact, that post was only my third, hence the title "my third ever blog post. EVER!") and did not realize so many strangers were reading it and broadcasting it. i get it now. thank you.
2. i do not consider myself elite. i wanted to run a race at sea level (i live in denver) to get an ot qualifying time and heard good things about this marathon. i saw that to receive an elite entry into the race, one needed to have run a 2:56 or faster, which i had, so i applied. the application asked that i include "requests for accomodation, race entry fee, coverage, etc" http://www.bmovanmarathon.ca/registration/elite_athletes.php and after asking around i was told to ask for as much as possible as they would likely want to bargain down. flights were between $500 and $1500 so i took the middle of the road. the host hotel was extremely expensive but since i've never been to vancouver and don't know my way around the city, i thought it would be a good idea to stay in the closest one possible. the race entry fee of $150 was also included in my request. absolutely none was for an "appearance fee". and absolutely none was for a "vacation on someone else's dime". i've heard amazing things about vancouver and was excited to explore after the race but most certainly did not expect to use any of their money for it.
3. i can't drive to canada. i have an older saab that's at the point in it's life where it's needing a lot of repairs and it's costing a ton of money. it's not exactly in road trip shape right now.
4. the denver marathon times have been officially changed three times. at first it was 2:56:04, then it was 2:54:25, and most recently it was changed to 2:55:05.
5. i have never posted on let's run, and most likely never will.
of course everyone's still entitled to their opinions but i hope that clears at least a few things up. i invite anyone who has something to say to do so right hear.