Friday, January 27, 2012

Up And Running!


The first race of the year always makes me nervous. It may as well be my first race ever... But I got it done and snagged my first W(and CR - http://winterdistanceseries.com/Frosty/ ) of 2012! Sweet!


Of course (of course!) it wasn't what I wanted time-wise, but I'm trying not to dwell on that. I have more aggressive goals for this year but I'm really trying to take little steps and appreciate all the little things that help along the way. The race felt better than I expected because I've been having some really cruddy low energy issues and that didn't seem to be a problem. I had a really hard time knowing what my pace was as I forgot my Garmin and am a really really really horrible judge of speed. I felt like I was going around 5:40 the last half of the race but had very obviously slowed since my finishing time was a slightly lackluster 30:19. I know I hear a ton of people talk about racing sans watch but I can't seem to get a handle on that! It's really hard for me to gauge my effort level toward the end of a race so a slower pace can easily feel faster than my always too fast start... Gonna try to remember all my gadgets next time!

I have another race tomorrow - super hilly 10k going after the elusive Bear Creek State Park Yeti - that I hope to do well in. I think it would be fun to see if I can start a little winning streak and see how far it goes... Ha! Well, we'll see I suppose.

There are a lot of things I'm excited about this year and some of them are coming up fairly fast. The first big thing will be my team's change in sponsorship. We have been with Saucony since I've been on the team and I think everyone knows how much I LOVE love love my Saucony shoes... It was a really great company to work with, but I'm looking forward to working with Nike in 2012! It's been quite some time since I've had a pair of those shoes so I got a fresh pair of their kicks to try before putting in my shoe order (which is due ASAP so I better get my rear in gear!). So far, well, they're not Kinvaras but... Let's face it, the Lunar Racer is pretty sexy:


Also! In what boils down to a matter of weeks, I will be going to one of the most awe-inspiring places in the country for my birthday and the Canyonlands Half Marathon! Yes!


Even better? A few weeks after that? Black Keys concert! Spring will rock! Can't wait to hear this song!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh0cr2PF_5s

And I can't stop thinking about summer - tons of racing and hiking to do! My goal is to get in 8 more 14ers, one 13er (James Peak), and go back to Durango and Ouray for a bit and do some exploring. Hiking in the winter can be fun and beautiful...


...but I'm kind of a baby in extreme cold and... that's it. I'm a baby in the cold.


There are a lot of fun things coming up but there's also a ton of work to do so I better get busy...

No comments:

Post a Comment