Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food n Music

Since I haven't been doing a lot of running, there aren't a lot of running related things to talk about... So INSTEAD we'll move on to the always interesting and life changing subjects of food and music. Food first.

I kind of love cooking. Not like crazy gourmet cooking or anything fancy, just pretty easy but (for the most part) super healthy stuff. I know I can eat my fair share of crap but it's not because eating healthy is hard or expensive or time consuming - sometimes I just want an entire cheesecake. But seriously, healthy cooking is actually super easy. I think it has this aura of being all exclusive and pricey and boring and hard and blah blah blah but it really isn't. And it's pretty damn tasty too! I was sharing some recipes on the Seven Ribbons website (sevenribbons.com if you're interested) but I figured why not here on my own blog? So here we go! I JUST made this:

Veggie and Portabella Fajitas

ingredients:
1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 package of whole wheat tortillas***
1 packet of fajita seasoning
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced (okay I actaully used orange but that's just what I had in the fridge)
1/2 cup onion, sliced
1 small zucchini (about a cup-ish), sliced
1 small yellow squash (again, about a cup), sliced
1 cup portabella mushroom caps, chopped
1 avocado, diced, mahsed, sliced, however you want it


cook it:
1. put the oil in a pan and add all the veggies (but not the mushrooms); mix it around so all the veggies get some oil and cook it on medium high heat til veggies are tender
2. add the mushrooms... mix...
3. reduce heat and add the seasoning (according to the packet directions... usually mix it up in 1/4 cup of water and then add it in)
4. mix it all up and let it simmer for a few til the sauce gets thicker
5. put some beans on a tortilla, spoon over the veggie/mushroom mixture, put some avocado on it (and cheese if you want), and eat it. boom.


***I get these La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortillas... they're like diet tortillas but they're super soft and sometimes whole wheat ones are pretty stiff.

The whole thing takes like 15 minutes. And you get some pretty rad health benfits: Peppers have tons of antioxidants like vitamins A and C, plus carotenoids, and can help maintain normal blood fat levels and aid in the production of hemoglobin. Zucchini also has vitamins A and C which can prevent cholesterol from oxidizing in your bloodstream, and the fiber in it helps prevent carcinogenic toxins from settling in your colon (and I HIGHLY doubt you want that). Portabella mushrooms are loaded with potassium, which is essential for your heart to keep on ticking, and substances that inhibit the activities of aromatase and 5-alpha-reductase, which play roles in prostate and breast cancer. They also contain important trace minerals like copper and selenium. If you don't already know, avocados are mad crazy good for you - they have tons of B vitamins, vitamin E, vitamin K (which you need to coagulate your blood), potassium, and zinc, plus beta sitosterols (which can lower blood cholesterol and reduce tumor growth), and unsaturated fatty acids. Holler at that!

And now? On too music! I'm a big fan of pretty much all music (except for newer country and any Christian music... just... no) but for a while I was only listening to the rap. And there's nothing wrong with that because it's awesome. But lately I've needed something a little different. So here are a few of the songs that have been getting me through otherwise mind numbing sessions on the eliptical:

Metric - Raw Sugar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-T8SqWps4
Metric - Help I'm Alive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_czU9sJ3g
Miike Snow - Animal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHHPs-9xfVw&feature=fvst

So... don't necessarily watch the videos... they aren't great and that can really ruin a song for me. But enjoy the music :)

No comments:

Post a Comment